Setting up the Creality tent enclose for the Ender 3 v2

Update: Later in this post I mention I may move the Power Supply outside the enclosure. After testing this morning I have decided to move both the Power Supply and Display outside of the tent. I will also be putting heatsinks on the stepper motors.

A few days ago, I posted about moving my Raspberry Pi over to the Ender 3 v2. In this post, I will show pictures of the Ender 3 v2 placed inside the Creality enclosure. It is a simple process. Maybe someone deciding whether to buy this enclosure will find the images included in this post useful.

Parts included with the kit.

The Creality kit purchased for this printer is the small 18.9′ x 23.6‘ x 28.4″ enclosure. This is more than enough space for the Ender 3 series.

The parts for this kit are shown below. There isn’t much to this kit.

Creality Enclosure parts.

Set up the frame.

Setting up the frame is super easy. During this step, it is vital to make sure all poles are fully seated. Any poles that are not fully seated will make it more challenging to add the fabric.

Enclosure frame assembled.

Add the fabric.

The trickiest part of this process is to add the fabric. To do this, I unzipped the cover. Then I placed the bottom on and worked my way up. When you get to the final corner, you will have to pull on the fabric while pushing the poles in tight. The zipper seems sturdy but not sturdy enough to be pulled on. So it is essential to pull on the fabric to get the zipper over the final corner and not the zipper itself.

Fabric added to the enclosure.

Put the printer in the enclosure.

Before putting the printer in the enclosure, it is essential to make sure it will fit in the planned location. Even though this is a small tent, it has a pretty big footprint. In my case, the tent does go slightly over the front and back edge of the dresser the printer sets upon. That is OK in my case, as the whole printer will still be on a solid base, and only a little of it sticks out.

Testing the location of the enclosure.

I found it is easiest to put the printer in with the base going in the enclosure first. Then tip the base down and set it into place. I was able to do this with a filament spool attached. I also double-checked to ensure all the printer’s four feet were on solid wood and not hanging over the edge.

Printer in the enclosure.

I haven’t printed out a new bracket for my Pi cam yet. So I ended up putting my soldering helping-hands inside the tent to hold the cam. It actually works out pretty well. Long-term, I think I will mount the cam on the right-front enclosure pole. That will allow a good view of prints and how much filament remains on the spool.

Makeshift Pi cam holder.

I ran the power cord through the velcro access panel on the back-right side. Long-term I might move the power supply outside of the enclosure. But I’ll do more testing before I decide that. Most of the time, I won’t have the cover closed. Only when I print ABS do I need the full enclosure. The way I have the tent set up it helps to protect my PETG prints from the breeze that previously came at it from our patio door. That is without even closing the front panel.

I know people who have kept the power supply in an enclosure for years with no issues. But I also know many people swear it is essential to move that power supply into a cooler environment.

I probably will move the power supply outside of the enclosure in the future while hooking up LED lighting.

Power cord fed out of the enclosure.

The Raspberry Pi is sitting just outside of the enclosure. I have the USB cable going to the printer and the ribbon cable going to the Pi cam fed through the side access panel. In the past, I’ve contemplated running the Pi off the 3d printer’s power supply. I decided against that so far, but in the future, I may do so.

Raspberry Pi sitting outside the enclosure.

Once that was all done, I closed the tent up and started printing. I did have to adjust the fabric just a little to relieve pressure off the zipper. After a few prints, I also noticed that most of the wrinkles seen in the picture below had gone away.

Enclosure all sealed up.

Next step

The next step for this particular printer is probably adding LED lighting. With the enclosure fully closed, it is hard to see prints on the Pi cam. At that time, I might also move the power supply outside of the enclosure.

I have seen many people say the Creality enclosure is overpriced. I don’t really think so. This was a quick and easy install. The fabric and zipper seem to be quality construction. Plus, it is fire resistant. There are cheaper options, but most affordable options either take more time to set up or are not reasonable long-term solutions.

Song of the day: Ring of Fire

The inside of the enclosure should keep the ambient temperature warm. Additionally, the fire-resistant fabric should prevent.. well… a ring of fire.

Bonus Song: (Ghost) Riders in the Sky

I really need to print something Johnny Cash related…

3 comments

Leave a Reply